The Immutable, Secure Kubernetes Operating System
Linux reimagined for distributed systems
The confidence of a platform that only changes when you want it to
Talos is born for stability.
And that’s never been more important as fast, flexible container infrastructure becomes standard.
At the foundation of the Talos platform is a reimagined OS that’s immutable. It’s made to not change—so everything can change around it.
There’s no shell or SSH access, reducing errors and the outages they can cause.
No matter where you run, you get the same stable environment, the same stable experience.
- Talos OS is managed by an easy and powerful API, making operations easily automated, scalable and simple.
- Deployments are fast. Create, upgrade, or redeploy an entire cluster in minutes.
- No SSH, no patching, no package manager. No configuration management tools.
- Upgrades are atomic and automated, using a dual disk image scheme to facilitate rollbacks. If an upgrade fails, Talos will roll back to the previous version.
Kubernetes agility. Talos stability.
The trust of an IT infrastructure designed with security at the core
We built Talos with inherent security. From the bottom up, and enabled by default.
Organizations love the flexibility of Kubernetes. They also know protecting against security threats is an inescapable reality. When you’re running Kubernetes on your own clouds and bare metal, you need an environment you trust.
Talos is ideal for highly regulated environments where compliance is critical.
We designed our platform for greater control, fewer variables, and less exposure. And less to worry about.
Talos is hardened by design and configuration. Everything not needed to support Kubernetes is removed, resulting in a much smaller, secure, more stable operating system:
- All access to the API is secured with Mutual TLS, and supports RBAC.
- Settings and configuration from the CIS guidelines are applied by default
- Talos runs entirely from a read-only SquashFS filesystem running entirely from RAM. This prevents bad actors from tampering with your hosts, even if they gain access.
- The console supports no shell access – just displays logs with no interactivity.
- Support for disk encryption.
- Kubernetes on Talos OS is Distributed, Immutable, and Ephemeral (D.I.E.) – the modern paradigm for InfoSec security.
Easier management from a single, consistent, API-driven platform
Talos is made to solve a fundamental problem with Kubernetes: manageability.
Easier updates, better sight across systems, simpler scale. Manage hundreds of systems like you’re managing one.
Talos delivers a single, consistent platform, whether you run on a public cloud, virtualized platform, bare metal or at the edge. The same processes and tools. API-driven, all the way to the OS.
Talos becomes an extension of your team—helping you leverage the Kubernetes skills you have, and leveling up where you don’t. Start right away. Learn as you go.
A Single platform. Simpler management. Supporting the demanding requirements of enterprise deployments.
- Talos OS automatically installs vanilla Kubernetes, in a secure configuration.
- Supports the latest stable versions of Kubernetes and Linux, ensuring stability and security issues are addressed.
- Supports all platforms: major public cloud providers, virtualization platforms, and bare metal, including ARM technology.
- Kubernetes on the edge: Talos OS supports kubernetes on Raspberry Pi and other Single Board Computers.
- Development-to-Production Workflow: Talos OS is ideal for developer workstations, supporting QEMU, Firecracker micro VMs and Docker containers. This gives the same base OS through the entire app lifecycle from dev to prod.
Open source ethos and expertise, powered by community
Open source both in our code, and an immutable part of our DNA.
We believe in community. We are available and engage with our community because our community has done the same in return.
We started Talos because we faced the same problems you do in operations. We wanted teams to have everything they love about Kubernetes and modern infrastructure—and a lot less of everything they don’t.
And we believed we could all work to solve those problems together.
Open Source Code, Enterprise grade support
Talos OS is 100% open source code. Use it for free, work with an engaged community, and contribute back if you wish.
However, if you want the assurance of expert Kubernetes support, 24 x 7 response, professional services or training, Talos Systems’ team of professionals can help.
A support contract from Talos Systems lets you focus on building value for your business, with confidence in your Kubernetes infrastructure.
Ready to get started? Get the docs, join the project, or talk to our team!